No matter what level you’re at as an IT professional, working as an IT consultant offers excellent opportunities to evolve your career.
IT professionals who are just starting out have an edge because they are tuned-in to the latest technology and newest skills. However, young IT professionals often have limited work experience.
Consulting on several different projects at the beginning of your career can help you gain valuable experience, setting you up for long term success.
Perks of IT Consulting for Young Professionals:
- Discover the type of work you excel at through exposure to a variety of projects.
- Experience different work environments – like a Fortune 500 corporate powerhouse or a quickly growing high-tech startup – to pinpoint the type of culture you like best.
- Explore opportunities across the country before putting your roots down.
If you’ve been doing the same type of work or have been employed with the same company for a long time, consulting is a great way to give your career a boost.
However, professionals at the peak of their career may also be at the peak of supporting their family. Whether you’re sending kids to college, paying off the mortgage, or taking care of elderly parents, it can be difficult to think about leaving the shelter of your current employment situation.
Luckily, because IT jobs are hot right now (and this isn’t expected to change for a long time), consulting in the IT sector gives you the security of knowing that there will be another job waiting for you when your contract ends.
Perks of IT Consulting for Experienced Professionals:
- Working with different clients broadens your experience and keeps you engaged in your work.
- New opportunities help to freshen up stale skills and build new credentials.
- Market demands for IT professionals provides experienced IT contractors with job security.
Today’s seniors are vital members of the workforce. Consulting is an attractive path for IT professionals who aren’t ready to enter retirement, but don’t want to continue working a typical 9 to 5 job.
Baby Boomers are indispensable to companies who not only need technical skills, but need the experience that Boomers have gained during their careers.
Perks of IT Consulting for the Boomer Generation:
- Working as a consultant allows you stay engaged with your industry without the time constraints of working in a permanent position.
- The flexibility of consulting means that you can pick and choose the projects you are most passionate about.
- Taking a few months off between contracts provides both the flexibility and the income you need to enjoy the leisure time you have worked for your whole career.
Whether you’re just starting out, are at the peak of your career, or are embarking on retirement, IT consulting is a fantastic avenue for adapting your career to your current lifestyle and goals.
image from here.