by Jessica Lunk
Smile! A little bit of humor can do a lot of good for your career. Laughter at work can help us be more healthy, productive, and creative on the job – a recipe for success!
So how does humor help you succeed on the job?
A good fit of giggles can:
- Lower blood pressure
- Increase vascular blood flow and oxygenation of the blood
- Workout the diaphragm and abdominal, respiratory, facial, leg, and back muscles
- Reduce stress
- Activate tumor- and disease-killing cells
- Defend against infections
- Increase memory and learning
- Improve alertness, creativity, and memory
Performance is often correlated to our ability to solve problems. And a good joke is nothing more than combining two unrelated ideas in an interesting or funny way. It’s no coincidence that your ability to see the funny side of things can boost creativity and help tackle the tough issues.
There’s nothing light or trivial about laughing on the job. In fact humor is seriously important for success. Laughter in the workplace indicates that you enjoy being around your co workers, improving your daily attendance. A moment of humor can help you release tension so you can focus on the task at hand. And when you’re feeling stuck or defeated, a hearty laugh can put your situation into perspective, giving you the motivation to forge ahead.
What do you do to promote a healthy dose of humor at work?