Data Steward - Senior
KellyMitchell matches the best IT and business talent with premier organizations nationwide. Our clients, ranging from Fortune 500 corporations to rapidly growing high-tech companies, are exceptionally served by our 1500+ IT and business consultants. Our industry is growing rapidly, and now is a great time to launch your career with the KellyMitchell team.
Senior Geospatial Data Steward (w/ Imagery focus)
The successful candidate will be part of the Location360 (Geospatial) Data Stewardship Team. This role will focus on performing imagery quality checks, analysis, and creating technical documentation that supports our Imagery pipeline team. In addition to the technical responsibilities, this role will also require interaction with business stakeholders in helping define scope and Imagery capture requirements as applicable to the project. The candidate would enjoy using their Geospatial/Imagery background in helping gather data requirements, supporting the UAV/MAV/Satellite Imagery pipeline, and applying data strategies as part of their daily tasks. A person that would support the IT strategy on an enterprise level and enforce geospatial governance guidelines while implementing best practices when managing imagery. The candidate must have a solid background in QGIS desktop mapping software with the ability to identify and problem-solve complex mapping questions. Bayer is in its infancy in leveraging Open Source Geospatial Technology across the Enterprise. Be part of the early stages of growth within the geospatial backbone of the company!
What you’ll do:
• Accountable for geospatial data quality, governance, and usage of data.
• Support both Geospatial Data Stewards and Geospatial Engineers in various approval workflows and geospatial data requests.
• Identify new ways of leveraging our geospatial data assets for use in solving business problems across business units and global hubs.
• Train and coach Data Scientists, Imagery Analysts, and Geospatial Analysts in areas such as geospatial data editing, scripting, and data management.
• Geospatial data delivery coordination and monitoring between data stewardship, engineering, and business stakeholders.
• Work collaboratively with geospatial engineering teams and development teams in fulfilling data requirements, solving problems, and recommending viable options or solutions using your imagery background.
• Conduct day-to-day geospatial/imagery data management, including data procurement, quality assurance, and documentation of best practices.
• Develop POC’s for map visualizations to properly vet business use-case’s or project requirements.
• Have an understanding of imagery workflows from data collection through stitching the imagery and serving the imagery back to the application.
• Communicate to business stakeholders and provide background information regarding the engineering associated to the imagery workflow.
• Have knowledge of georeferencing and the interactions of vector vs. raster data
• Bachelor's degree in GIS, Geospatial technology, Imagery analysis, or similar field is required.
• 6+ years working with imagery, geospatial data, open-source technology, and geospatial platforms.
• Solid foundation and understanding of GIS principles, technologies, and concepts.
• Some experience working in an agile organization with a good understanding of agile development and continuous deployment.
• Experience with Planet Boundless OpenGeo and QGIS Desktop is required.
• Significant understanding of geospatial service formats such as REST, APIs, WFS, WMS, and WCS is required.
• A track record of working within a fast paced, dynamic, team-oriented environment.
• Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills.
• Openness to learning new technologies and applying them to daily tasks.
• Familiarity with metadata and governance standards within geospatial/imagery data and applying those standards during data handling.
• Ability to quickly shift priorities from handling imagery analysis, to governing data workflows, or managing data hand-offs.
• Background in Python, R, and or other scripting languages
• Some experience using SQL and PostGres databases
• Understanding of CKAN open source data catalog
• Professional teaching experience using geospatial technologies
• Ability to call an API using Postman, Python, or R
• Understanding of AWS and AWS resources such as EC2, Lambda, Data Pipeline Runner
• Familiarity of Agisoft Photoscan, OpenDroneMap, and/or MicMac